Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Adventures in a CSA: Sunchokes


Not only had I never had a sunchoke before, I had never even heard of them. Here is what I know about them now: they are also known as Jerusalem artichokes, they are a root, they are good for diabetics, they are yummy. You can read more about sunchokes here, here, or here.
Pictured are the raw sunchokes from my CSA.
I prepared them two different ways.
First I sliced and pan fried a few in some olive oil with salt and pepper. Then drizzled with a little lemon juice. Of the two ways I prepared them, we liked this way the best.
Next I tried roasting them some some olive oil, potatoes, onion, and rosemary. I think they would have been better had I sliced into them more, instead I left them in whole chucks and not much of the flesh was exposed. They also seemed to take longer to cook than the other vegetables I had them with, maybe again from the lack of cutting.
I would suggest giving these a try if you happen to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment