Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Adventures in a CSA: Tomatillos

Last week I received a bag of tomatillos from my CSA. I wasn’t sure what to do with these never have bought or even held one before. I also received 2 jalapenos and had a red onion left from a previous week. I wanted to make something I didn’t have to go out and buy extra ingredients for, I like it when I can cook with what I have. So (and to your experienced cooks this is no surprise)……my first time to make…..SALSA! Yum! I first roasted the tomatillos in the broiler on a piece of Pampered Chef stoneware (p.s. I sell Pampered Chef…..love it!) for 5 minutes on each side. Let them cool. Then threw them in the blender with the jalapenos which I had seeded and diced and garlic. Added some diced red onion, a little water, a little sugar, a little salt…..Voila! I wanted the flavors to have time to fuse so I made it a night before we used it for dinner. So what did we eat this on? For my husband (the carnivore) I cooked some ground bison (also from my CSA) with finely chopped onion and fresh ground cumin in my iron skillet. For myself I did the same with beans and added a little garlic. We put our filling in a tortilla (aslo from our CSA), topped with cheese and the salsa, rolled, and YUM! My toddler ate the beans and meet with cheese and even a little of the salsa, it wasn’t too hot.

Salsa recipe was adapted from the Joy of Cooking, a must have for any cook.

Info about my CSA can be found at http://www.fairshares.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment