Saturday, August 29, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

We've had an excess of yummy homegrown tomatoes so I've tried out a few different ways to make spaghetti sauce. With not a drop of Italian blood in me this did not come naturally. First I made a fresh sauce with ripe tomatoes, the sauce was good but a little thin for our taste. For my second attempt I used my Muir Glen canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, fresh garlic, fresh local mushrooms, fresh local zucchini, and a green pepper I grew. I cooked this all for a few hours in a crock pot. This was a thicker meatier sauce, so I felt I was getting closer. Finally tonight I think I got it. In fact I followed a recipe from a baby and toddler cook book, The Petit Appetit. First I broiled the fresh tomatoes for 15 minutes. Then sauteed the onion, peppers, garlic. Added the tomatoes (ran threw the food processor), a little vegetable stock, spices, and a little canned tomato paste. Simmered for 30 minutes. Then added a tsp of honey and finished off another 10 minutes. Nice, thick, yummy sauce. I could have added mushrooms to give it some meatiness, but we didn't get any this week and it was very good without. Most recipes I looked at called for a bay leaf, I've left it out every time just because it is something I don't keep on hand. The best part about making this now is to make enough to freeze for use when the ingredients are no longer in season.
Hope you are enjoying tomato season as much as we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment